Data from home – setup and preliminary results (Part 1)

Result of this series as three minutes Youtube video: Data from home – Info Display
Details for the display: Controlling Samsung Signage QB13R-T based on Unifi Protect

Data from home – setup and preliminary results (Part 1)
Data from home – wireless water meter (Part 2)
Data from home – energy analyzer, requests against webUI (Part 3)
Data from home – district heating, computer vision (Part 4)
Data from home – alerting and water shutoff (Part 5)

I hope you enjoy!

Being environmentally friendly and economical are easy reasons for this story. Of course the motto of this blog applies – “Just Because I can”! And even further – “Engineers view to the world”. Most of the people won’t see any value for this but hopefully you will find it as interesting as I do. I am planning to write a series of posts around this topic. This first post is about the setup and some preliminary results.

In our last house I started playing around with the home automation a couple of years ago. We had remotely controlled heatpumps, sophisticated energy metering and temperature meters. I used Azute IoT Hub, PowerBI and a couple of other components to achieve a near real-time dashboard like shown in the picture.

PowerBI: Daily values for heatpump avg. input power (kW), electricity cost (€) based on hourly spot electricity price, inside temperature for two floors (C) and outside temperature (C) from Finnish Meteorological Institute API

After moving to our current house I wanted to do something more. In my mind I had the following requirements:

  • Data: Energy (electricity and heat), temperature and water meters, leak detectors
  • Functionality: Meter data collection and reporting, protection against water leakage
  • Non-functional: Opensource software running locally

After getting nowhere for the two first years I have finally made some progress. I’m running all this on Intel NUC based WMware Free Hypervisor. OS for this case is Ubuntu. I have been playing around with this for roughly a month now. I’m pretty happy with where I am now, considering that almost every component was totally new to me. Current setup consist of the following:

All of the above software has quite good documentation available, so setting it up was doable, although not that easy for me. After recording the data for a couple of days my data looks now like this. I am going to go deeper in to the details in the upcoming posts. Feel free to leave me comments, questions or ideas!

Cost dashboard: Today’s cumulative cost, 24 hours costs stacked and usage on each domain separately
Water dashboard: Meter reading with flow representation, hourly usage for past 24 hours and daily usage for past month
Electricity dashboard: Current load per phase as percentage of fuse size, stacked power per phase, separated power for heat pump combined with room temperature, per phase voltage and system frequency

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.